As of June 1, 2019, anyone looking to fly a drone in Canada is regulated by Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). The quick and dirty on the changes are:
- Everyone must register their drones if they weigh more than 250g.
- Everyone must obtain either a basic or advanced pilot certificate.
- You must be at least 14 years of age to obtain a pilot certificate.
- You must keep your drone within line of sight when flying.
- You are permitted to fly to a max altitude of 400' above ground.
- Foreign pilots are required to obtain a SFOC before flying in Canada.